Rev. Dr. Edna C. Jenkins
Pastor for 9 years at
Embry A.M.E. Church,
College Park, MD
Hometown: Washington, D.C.
Education: DC Public Schools, DC Teachers College (BS), Federal City College (MA), Howard University School of Divinity (M-Div.), United Theological Seminary, Dayton, Ohio (D. Min).
1. How did you hear your call to ministry?
After years of denying my call, while working in the church I had a dramatic encounter with the Lord. It was revealed that I was called to preach and teach the gospel of Jesus Christ. Through my search for what direction I should take, the Spirit of God told me that my call was to the pastoral ministry, particularly in urban settings.
2. What was the biggest surprise when you started ministry?
The amount of time and sacrifices that have to be made for the sake of the ministry.
3. What aspect are you most proud of?
The hundreds or perhaps thousands of lives that have been touched by my ministry.
4. What’s the most exciting thing about your ministry?
Guiding the growth of God’s children and helping them to realize their potential.
5. How does social media enhance your ministry, or not?
My church is on Facebook. Our activities and our events are advertised, with over 1,000 persons being friends.
6. Who in your community most inspires you?
The youth in the community inspire me to continually reach out to them and seek to effect change in their lives.
7. What’s your favorite form of recreation?
My recreational activities are limited. Some of my activities consist of attending basketball games, plays, performances with our seniors. Unfortunately my very favorite past time is eating out with family and friends.