* Subcommittees on Oversight and Water and Wildlife *
“Joint Hearing on EPA’s Role in Protecting Ocean Health”
BACKGROUND: Senator Benjamin L. Cardin (D-MD), Chairman of the Subcommittee on Water and Wildlife of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, and Senator Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI), Chairman of the Oversight Subcommittee, will hold a joint hearing to examine the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) work to monitor and reduce environmental risks to marine and coastal ecosystems. The hearing will pay specific attention to the effects of toxins – including oil dispersants – and ocean acidification.
WHEN: TUESDAY MAY 11, 2010
10:00 AM ET
LOCATION: EPW Hearing Room
SD-406 Dirksen Senate Office Building
WEBCAST: Webcast will be available at http://epw.senate.gov starting at 10:00 AM ET
WITNESSES: (Order subject to change)
· Ms. Nancy Stoner, Deputy Assistant Administrator, Office of Water, United States Environmental Protection Agency
· Mr. Jim Jones, Deputy Assistant Administrator, Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention, United States Environmental Protection Agency
· Dr. Roger Payne, Founder and President, Ocean Alliance
· Dr. Carys Mitchelmore, Associate Professor, University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science, Chesapeake Biological Laboratory
· Mr. Sam Waterston, Board of Directors, Oceana
· Dr. John T. Everett, President, Ocean Associates, Inc.