Ex-Offender Arrested in Shooting at Southern Avenue

It took only 12 hours for Prince George’s County Police to arrest a suspect in the murder of a man at the Southern Avenue Metro Station.

Prince George's and Metro Transit Police, responding to a report of a shooting at the Southern Avenue Metro Station, said they found Harold T. Detter, 43, at the front entrance of the station with a gunshot wound to his body.

Norman Marquarus Bonds, 32, was arrested June 6 and charged with six felonies including first degree murder, second degree murder and the use of firearm during a crime in connection with the shooting.

According to police officials, the quick arrest resulted from an assist by Metro Transit Police and local residents.

“I would like to say that the collaboration that we received from the Metro Transit Police Department and the residents in that area really helped us with this investigation,” deputy chief Hector Velez of the Patrol Bureau , said at a press conference. “Had it not been for those two important pieces we would not have been before you announcing an arrest in such an expedient manner.”

Details of what was behind the shooting remain fuzzy at this point as police officials are still trying to figure out the motive behind the crime. They say they don’t believe that words were exchanged or that the shooting was the result of an attempted robbery.

However, officials did acknowledge that both men frequented the metro station and that they may have had previous encounters.

“It’s possible [that the two men had prior contact]. We just don’t know at this point whether there was any connection between the two,” Commander Michael Straughan, Criminal Investigations Division, said. “This was a direct walk-up and shooting. Why it happened? What is the motive? I think everything is open at this point and subject to investigation.”

While police continue to try to figure out why the shooting took place, there is still a question of why Bonds was on the streets in the first place.

Bonds has a lengthy criminal history, including a 2011 conviction on second degree assault charges. He was sentenced to four years in prison, but the sentence was reduced to the time he was incarcerated– 155 days he’d already spent waiting for trial.

That was just the most recent conviction of a criminal record that dates back to 1998. He was also convicted of second degree assault in 2009 and possession of marijuana in 2003.

Police officials say there may be other people who saw the incident happen and they’d like to speak with those people. They’re asking anyone with information about this case is asked to call the Prince George’s County Police Department’s Homicide Unit at 301-772-4925. Callers wishing to remain anonymous may call Crime Solvers at 1-866-411 TIPS.

A preliminary hearing for Bonds has been scheduled for July 3.

116 total views, 1 views today

Ex-Offender Arrested in Shooting at Southern Avenue


Latest Tweets

    Message: Rate limit exceeded, Please check your Twitter Authentication Data or internet connection.