Prince George’s County Executive Rushern L. Baker III announced June 20 that he will run for re-election in 2014 to build on the accomplishments of his first term and advance some new initiatives.
The announcement came at a fundraiser at the Newton White Mansion in Mitchellville, MD. His supporters paid up to $1,000 to attend the barbeque and engage in a private meet-and-greet session with the 54 year-old lawyer who has served two terms in the Maryland House of Delegates.
“We have done a lot, but we have a lot more to do,” Baker said to the crowd of 500 campaign supporters.
He reminded the crowd of his achievements so far, including a takeover of the county’s troubled school system, enactment of a $50 million economic development plan, a key role in a campaign to site a casino in the county and a program to help reverse the economic state of six poverty-stricken communities in the county.
Still, he said, he needs a second term to follow through on those initiatives, along with mounting a drive to purge the shadow of corruption from county-business dealings and encourage new businesses through regulatory streamlining.
In addition, he and his administration ‘s officials have pointed out, the crime rate in the county is at a 30-year low.
He took office in the wake of a scandal in which his predecessor, Jack Johnson was arrested and later convicted of financial improprieties.
15 total views, 2 views today