By The Associated Press
BALTIMORE (AP) — Endorsing a proposed $424 million overhaul of the Baltimore track that hosts the Preakness Stakes, Mayor Catherine Pugh says the second leg of horse racing’s Triple Crown wouldn’t necessarily have to be relocated.
The Baltimore Sun reports the mayor said Friday that she believes the Pimlico Race Course could be demolished and rebuilt without having to move the Preakness. The Maryland Stadium Authority study released last week estimated a complete rebuild of the nearly 150-year-old track would take three years.
Pugh thinks the demolition and construction can be done in phases to keep the race in the Park Heights area. Further details weren’t reported.
A spokeswoman for Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan has said he’s always been supportive of keeping the Preakness at Pimlico and would review the study.
Information from: The Baltimore Sun, http://www.baltimoresun.com