Home News Afro Briefs Originally published January 04, 2013

61 Trampled to Death Following Ivory Coast Celebration, Mostly Kids & Teenagers

by Alexis Taylor
AFRO Staff Writer

  •   Click on the photo to view additional Photos.
    Mariame Kanfando, 10, with her father, wait outside the morgue in in Abidjan, Ivory Coast, Wednesday Jan. 2, 2013, in an attempt to get the bodies of her mother and two sisters killed in a stampede on new year's eve. Survivors of a stampede in Ivory Coast that killed 61 people, most of them children and teenagers, after a New Year's Eve fireworks display at a stadium said Wednesday that barricades stopped them from moving along a main boulevard, causing the crush of people. Ivory Coast President Alassane Ouattara ordered three days of national mourning and launched an investigation into to the causes of the tragedy but two survivors, in interviews with The Associated Press, indicated why so many died in what would normally be an open area, the Boulevard de la Republic. An estimated 50,000 people had gathered in Abidjan's Plateau district to watch the fireworks. Photo Credit/Emanuel Ekra (AP Photo)

Story Tools
Share |

There are currently 0 comments.

Be the next to make a comment.

Post a comment


AFRO Black History Archives
Check out related stories, research genealogies, or peruse all that our archives have to offer.

Click Here to get started!

The Ivory Coast concluded a three-day period of mourning Jan. 4 following the deaths of at least 61 people, mostly children and teenagers, who were trampled after a New Year’s Eve celebration.

A crowd of 50,000 had gathered in Abidjan inside Felix Houphouet-Boigny Stadium to watch a firework display on New Year’s Eve that was to celebrate a united Ivory Coast in the second year of the conclusion of a brutal civil war.

Instead, by the end of the night, and on the first day of the year, 61 people lay trampled to death and lifeless after a post-fireworks stampede that witnesses said was linked to makeshift barricades blocking streets surrounding the stadium.

Some witnesses said tree trunks formed unofficial barricades, forcing those who had attended the fireworks display to be funneled into overcrowded streets. "Near the Justice Palace we were stopped by some people who put blockades of wood in the street,'' Zoure Sanate, who was injured in the panicked crowd, told Al Jazeera from her bed in Cocody Hospital.

"They told us we must stay in the Plateau area until morning. None of us expected to stay in Plateau until the morning for a celebration that ended at around 1am."

"Then came the stampede of people behind us.”

"After the fireworks we reopened the other streets, but we had not yet removed the tree trunks from the Boulevard de la Republique, in front of the Hotel Tiana near the National Assembly (parliament) building,'' a police officer said.

"That is where the stampede happened when people flooded in from the other streets.''

Ivory Coast President Alassane Ouattara declared the three-day period of mourning after visiting the scene in the wake of the stampede and also visited hospital beds where the injured were taken.

“The President of the Republic presents its deepest condolences to the families and relatives of the victims and assured them of all his compassion in these painful circumstances. Injured, he wishes a speedy recovery,” said a statement released by the president’s office.

“He also requested an investigation soon to determine the circumstances and causes of the stampede.”

There are no comments at this time.